Other related links:
Electrical first aid
DO'S AND DO NOT'S WITH ELECTRICITY
|Do's with Electricity
- Always install the safety equipments like Earth leakage/Overload & Short circuit
protection (Circuit breakers/switches) near point of supply at your premises.
- Ensure that a healthy earthing is installed at your premises.
- Ensure only IS marked cables of proper capacity are used for your installation and get
the wiring done through only Electrical Contractors licensed by the Pondicherry Electrical
- Pay the energy bills regularly at the Department's designated cash collection centers
and within due date to avoid inconvenience due to disconnection.
- Use electricity only when needed, switch off the supply when not required.
- Always use proper capacity fuse wire in main switches.
- To got proper voltage, install adequate capacitors for inductive loads.
- Use only IS marked electrical equipments.
- As per Electricity Act 2003, it is the responsibility of the consumer to ensure safety
of the energy meter and metering equipment installed in their respective premises.
- For rectification of faults in your installations, call licensed electrical contractors
- For any difficulty related to electricity supply, always contact department's
authorities at their offices.
- If energy meter provided is found stopped/faulty, please bring the facts to the notice
of Electricity Department authorities immediately.
- Apply for your service connection for Electricity in the prescribed form obtainable free
of cost from the Section Office.
- Enter all the particulars required in the application form.
- Produce proper documents/ records to prove the legal ownership of the premises for which
electricity supply is required. In case you are a tenant, produce evidence for lawful
occupation of the premises.
- Either deliver the application to the Section Office in person and obtain proper
acknowledgement or send it to the section officer by registered post acknowledgement due.
- Pay security deposit and service connection charges before the specified date to avoid
cancellation of the application.
- Provide space for fixing the meter at a convenient place in the ground floor for easy
accessibility to the Assessor for taking meter reading.
- In all storeyed buildings, irrespective of the number of floors, provide space for
fixing meter, cut-out etc., in the ground floor only.
- While connecting additional loads like lights, fans, etc., and other electric appliances
such as refrigerators, air-conditioners, Water-heaters etc., ensure that the meter
capacity is adequate. If the meter capacity is not adequate, contact the Section Officer
for installing higher capacity meter.
- Use electricity only for purpose for which the service connection has been given (i.e.
- Safeguard the meter and other equipments of the Electricity Department in your premises.
- Construct your building with proper clearance from the existing High Tension/Low Tension
lines as per the Indian Electricity Rules 1956.(vide rule 79 & 80).
- If the building does not have adequate frontage and the line has to go through or over
the adjoining premises of other owners arrange for necessary way-leave at your own cost
for running the lines.
- Get your supply converted from single-phase to three-phase if the total connected load
exceeds 4000 watts.
- Observe safety precautions to avoid electrical accidents.
- Replace promptly defective electrical fittings and appliances.
- Pay electricity consumption bills and additional security deposit promptly at authorised
cash counters only.
- Pay the electricity consumption charges at the beginning of the month to avoid rush on
the last date.
- If your service connection has been disconnected for non-payment, you may pay the amount
due and the reconnection charges and intimate the Section officer/Junior Engineer and
- If the meter is found to be defective and not running , bring the matter to the notice
of the Section Officer in writing for replacement by a healthy meter.
- Get the internal wiring checked up periodically not only to avoid leakage of electricity
but also to safeguard the lives of the inmates in the premises.
|Do Not's with Electricity
- Do not connect multiple equipments to a single point outlet to avoid excess loading.
- Avoid loose connections and joints.
- Avoid theft electricity energy, It is cognizable offence and attracts penal charges and
/ or imprisonment.
- Do not tamper with energy meters, meter seals or metering equipments, it is an offence.
- Do not pay your bill amounts to unauthorized persons. Pay only at Electricity
Department's cash collections center and obtain receipts.
- Do not plant trees below the overhead power lines.
- Do not meddle with live wires /points. It may cost your life.
- Do not get the wiring works done by unauthorized persons, which is an office under the
Indian Electricity Rules 1956.
- Do not use substandard wires and wiring accessories. Do not install fittings and
appliances of poor quality.
- Do not give the application before completing the wiring in your premises.
- Do not hand over the application to the Board staff; dont send it by ordirnarty
- Do not delay to pay the security depoait and the service connection charges once the
advice for payment is recieved.
- Do not construct your building underneath a High Tension or Low-Tension line without
- Do not shift the meter or meter board without proper sanction by the Electricity